Friday, March 26, 2010

What is Creativity?

As an art teacher, I deal with the concept of 'creativity' everyday.  Now the word 'creativity' is used across the curriculum.  As educators, we are encouraged to promote the development of creativity in our students.  This raises the question, What is Creativity?

I decided to break it down and I came to my own conclusion.  I see creativity as a process.  There is a beginning, which is the task or problem and the end is an original creation or result.  The process in the middle is creativity.  This process incorporates a range of different skills.  When you look at these skills it soon becomes apparent why creativity is so important.  This process contributes to the development of learning skills.

Digital technology has created new methods and strategies which assist students and teachers to develop their creativity and provide engaging learning environments.

Here is a visual representation I have made of my perception of creativity.

The Process of Creativity 


4 comments:

Melissa said...

I really like how you have explained creativity. That makes a lot of sense and I have not heard it explained that way before. I also love the "diagram" of creativity :)

my blog said...

Love the way you have made something so ethereal so explainable. I looked at your process and I thought yes that is what I do. Well done Steph

Mrs. Tenkely said...

This is such a succinct, and clear explanation of creativity. Your diagram is excellent, I just sent it to all of my teaching staff. I called the art teacher in to take a look and she loves it.

Nick Provenzano said...

This is such a great graph! I often try to explain to my fellow English teachers the importance of allowing students to be creative on their projects and not everything has to be an essay or MC test. This shows what I've been trying to say for a while in much easier format. Thanks for creating this and sharing. :-)

Post a Comment